33 Broadway ∙ Jackson, CA 95642 209-223-1646 FAX: 209-223-3141
July 22, 2019
The City of Jackson owns and operates four park facilities to enhance recreation opportunities for citizens. These vary from a plaza style gathering place at the south end of the historic downtown Jackson area to an active recreation park that includes the City’s municipal pool, a youth baseball diamond and play structure. The City is also working with environmental agencies to open the 155 acre “Oro De Amador” property for public recreational access. The highlights of each facility is noted below.
The City also is a member of the Amador County Recreation Agency (ACRA), a joint powers authority whose mission is "to maximize recreation opportunities for all the people in all the areas of Amador County by working collaboratively and thinking regionally." Information regarding recreation program opportunities can be found at their web site: http://www.goacra.org. In addition, the City has also teamed with the Amador Tennis Club to provide the Amador Junior Team Tennis league and other youth tennis opportunities.
Upcoming Recreational Activities offered by ACRA:
This 6.5 acre park is located along Highway 49/88 in the northern area of the City. Facilities include the Jackson City Pool, which is open to the public for recreational swimming and lessons from June through Labor Day weekend. The park also includes John Aime Field, a baseball diamond used primarily for youth baseball games, one tennis court, a new playground structure for kids age 2 to 12 and lots of shaded, grassy picnic areas for public and private gatherings.
Located near historic downtown Jackson, Petkovich is a gathering place for visitors to the downtown area and has public rest rooms available. It is the location of the original volunteer fire department bell used at one time for emergency call outs.
Tailing Wheels Park:
Home to the historic Kennedy Tailing Wheels, these engineering marvels were used to move tons of waste rock from the Kennedy Gold Mine to a tailingsarea on theother side of a ridge where they were impounded to prevent silting and pollution of waterways and downstream agricultural areas. Built in 1912, two of the original four tailing wheels stand today. The park includes a kiosk explaining how the system worked, picnic tables and many viewing points for the tailing wheels and scenic vistas in the area.
Gold Ridge Park:
This pocket-style park was built as part of a new subdivision in 2002 and includes picnic tables, a half-court basketball court and a play structure. The park also includes incredible views of the City. Access to the park is from Alpine Street, opposite the intersection with Michelle Court.